Mix of old and new Fraggle Stick Car: Holiday! Celebrate!
My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, CA

I'm an English expat constantly struggling to be understood in a different country. I work in the cut throat world trying to bring "YARRR" and "Ne'er-Do-Well" into regular conversation My swear word of choice is Stink Nugget. I'm a yarn snob.

Monday, August 22, 2005

Holiday! Celebrate!

My holiday plans are getting closer to being final.

I have clearance from the tower at work to take a month off, late Sept to late Oct. Which ties in nicely to various big dates at home.

I'm just really waiting on the timing of the embassy appointment to finalize my flight (which I'm thinking I'll be indulgent again and pay for the upgrade).

The one arse piece of news, I've found out that knitting needles are banned from UK flights. Bum

Either way, I'm contacting Virgin to make sure - this is a heads up for J (f) of J and J fame - you might run into this too since I think Europeans are more jumpy than the US.

Looks like an ipod is a must for that flight now. That, or take advantage of all the free champagne.

Which brings me to this. I love flying on Virgin, the new planes have this cool "personal dvd" system that allows you to watch any of the films they have, pause, rewind, whatever of the many films they have on board (over 100 or so). What is the worst movie you could see on a flight?

The worst I have ACTUALLY seen was Dancer in the Dark. I was bawling my eyes out and I'm pretty sure that people thought I was insane. I have to think that high up on the list of bad films to watch whilst flying is Alive, followed in no particular order by Final Destination, Donnie Darko and now - Red Eye. Maybe Die Hard 2 should get a mention.

Any others I'm missing? Do airlines have a "shouldn't show this film" list? I have also seen Species 2, so if such a list exists, it isn't obviously based on film quality.

Comments on "Holiday! Celebrate!"

 

Blogger smallerdemon said ... (8:55 AM) : 

Hm, you know I have an iPod mini that you're welcome to borrow. The battery on it kind of sucks ass, but I have an external charger for it.

I'll inform Jenn re the knitting needles. She will be quite sad.

 

Blogger FranklinMinty said ... (11:15 AM) : 

Its worth checking on the knitting needles situation per airline. It just seems like some airlines are way more cautious. I know virgin and the UK government are pretty clear on not allowing knitting needles in carry on, on flights. But I'm seeing if I can get away with the US to UK leg. I might have them on me, and ask when I check in on both sides. If they don't like it, I can stick it in the check in stuff before I hand it over.

btw - dates are booked - 20th Sept to 18th of Oct - WOO!

I'd love to borrow the ipod mini - you sure you don't mind?

 

Blogger smallerdemon said ... (3:58 PM) : 

Re the movies... not really sure. I am more about not watching plane crash documentaries on Discovery and the like before a trip on a plane.

 

post a comment