Mix of old and new Fraggle Stick Car: SP7 Questions!
My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, CA

I'm an English expat constantly struggling to be understood in a different country. I work in the cut throat world trying to bring "YARRR" and "Ne'er-Do-Well" into regular conversation My swear word of choice is Stink Nugget. I'm a yarn snob.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

SP7 Questions!

So... I've joined up for Secret Pal 7 and secret pal you can click to read my questionnaire answers! That spares my regular stalkers from reading this stuff

I'm so excited!



1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
I am afraid so – I need help! I’m not adverse to an acrylic blend, as long as it feels soft, not crunchy.

2. Do you spin? Crochet?
No to spinning, badly to crochet.

As for spinning, I've never tried but am not adverse to giving it a go, although I'm worried it would turn into a new and different obsession.


3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
Old (but pretty!) shoe boxes :)

4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
Nearly 2 years this time around. I’d say I was an intermediate knitter.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wishlist?
Sadly, no. I am subject to too many whims to organize one and actually keep it up to date. If it would help, I can make one.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
I love vanilla, almond, the smell of coffee, L'Occitane's honey candles and mimosa sent. I also like clean, ocean or fresh rainfall smells.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth?

Yes, but I don't indulge too often, unless it is super dark chocolate.

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
I’m an amateur photographer and I sew occasionally (although not as often as I’d like)

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Yes, I have the means of listening to MP3s. I like cheesy classic rock (Journey), New Wave (Devo), Brit pop (mid 90's stuff), early early Madonna, electro clash (yeah yeah yeahs), painfully cool stuff (Fischerspooner) and weird Brit stuff. All over the place really, although I'm not really into anything that could be currently called mainstream... plus I'll run for the hills if subjected to reggae or country (although I guess I could jog if it was Johnny Cash)

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?

I'm a big fan of reds and pinks. Black is a good standby. I'm currently on a cream kick too. Turquoise and teals are fun in moderation

I don't particularly like "earthly" brown / green colors.


11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

I have a long term boyfriend (we don't live together). I don't have any pets as the landlord and job don't like them, although if I could I'd have cats

12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Scarves and hats -yes, mittens - not really. Ponchos - no

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?

I've been gradually teaching myself to appreciate chunky yarns (I had been obsessive about smaller needles and gauges but the soul destroying "I can't see any progress" is changing that.

I love all Rowan yarns I've tried and am currently coveting hand spun / hand painted stuff.

In general, I prefer "simpler" yarns, not too fussy but beautiful texture that will compliment the patterns with high quality fibers.


14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

I don't like overly synthetic yarns, nor ones that have a fussy texture. Eyelash is nowhere to be found in my stash, and you'll be lucky to find any bobbly novelty stuff either. If it makes me sweat or itch I don't get it.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
Well... its getting cold now, so I've been knitting anything that keeps me warm! I recently went through a sweaters binge, but am focusing on scarves / neck warmers and hats right now ... In general I like anything with an interesting and unusual patterns (think loop-d-loop and kate gilbert etc) that will challenge my knitting skills or teach me something new.

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
It really depends on my mood. I like intricate patterns, shawls, shrugs, bags, bracelets. I normally like to do really quick knits in between doing longer term projects as well.

17. What are you knitting right now?
Hmmm... well WIP items are a pair of wristwarmer thingies for the BF, a Suss Cousins stripy sweater and the Collar Me neck thing from Magknits. UFOs are numerous and an embarrassingly long list!

18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?

Yes, I always appreciate the thought!

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
Depends on the task at hand and size of project - larger (heavier) projects go on the circs just so I can lift them :) Smaller stuff on straights.

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Depends on the fiber. Normally bamboo, but occasionally metal. I have cheap aluminum for knitting with wire to make jewelry.

21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Yes, both - indispensable (if expensive) purchases!

22. How did you learn to knit?
My grandmother taught me about 25 years ago, I refreshed myself by looking at Vogue Knitting Ultimate Knitting Book and Stitch n Bitch

23. How old is your oldest UFO?

Ummm... about 9 months (Its a summery tank top...)

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
I love flamingos and Koko the sign language gorilla, but neither are really animated:) I am a big fan of Japanese characters - like Domo Kun, Gloomy Bear, all the Miyazaki films - generally cute and quirky stuff from over there.

25. What is your favorite holiday?

Christmas - its when I get to go back to the UK to visit the family

26. Is there anything that you collect?
Apart from yarn?! Ummm... shoes ;) All those quirky little Japanese things like I mentioned above. I also collect 1950's ceramics, but haven't expanded my collection in some time.

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

Rowan

28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?
I haven't seen any recently, but then I haven't really been looking! I always appreciate nice bamboo or wood straights, or addi turbos, of course! As far as patterns, I good magic loop instructions would be nice. I have been DYING to find a pattern for a long sweater coat, that is pretty fitted (ideally empire line), and not made with super chunky yarn. I haven't found anything yet though :( I'd love to get more Phildar (but I don't speak much French) and Rebecca mags

29. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Magic Loop!

30. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I'm a size 7 / 7.5 footsie. I have yet to ever knit socks... I don't really like them too much (I know... weird)

31. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)

Feb 23rd

C'est tout!

Where did I start?

Comments on "SP7 Questions!"

 

post a comment