Mix of old and new Fraggle Stick Car: V for Vendetter
My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, CA

I'm an English expat constantly struggling to be understood in a different country. I work in the cut throat world trying to bring "YARRR" and "Ne'er-Do-Well" into regular conversation My swear word of choice is Stink Nugget. I'm a yarn snob.

Sunday, March 19, 2006

V for Vendetter

First, I'm going to say that this is a film that you should see, I thought it was pretty damn good.

BUT, I have 2 problems (outside of screenplay changes, heavy handed depictions of both lesbians and religious differences). What the FUCK happened with accents?

First off, shame on you Stephen Rea - my people rhyme "lever" with "fever" and not "never". You should know better... it snapped me out of what should have been a poignant scene near the end.

But most importantly (and I'll give you an exerpt of the BBC review of the film to prove that I'm not the only pedantic English girl that thinks this):-

...the majority of Portman’s energy is devoted to wrestling with an English accent (she loses).

It was depressingly bad, not Angelina bad, but constantly jarred me out of the film. I would be interested in seeing this film in Britain, I'm guessing that the reaction of the audiences would be a lot different, but not for the political reasons that people probably think

Despite the fact that I don't think any limey worth their salt has forgotten anything about the 5th of November, you could at least have got the hung, drawn and quartered right...

Rant over.

Comments on "V for Vendetter"

 

Blogger smallerdemon said ... (12:10 PM) : 

First, I'm going to say that this is a film that you should see, I thought it was pretty damn good.

BUT, I have 2 problems (outside of screenplay changes, heavy handed depictions of both lesbians and religious differences). What the FUCK happened with accents?


*heh* SO, you liked it but you didn't, well, like it?

I admittedly wondered how a native Brit would take to Portman flailing around that accent.

 

Blogger FranklinMinty said ... (2:27 PM) : 

It was a good movie that got kicked down from great on accents alone.

For some reason Hugo Weavings didn't bother me at all.

Portman's acting was superb when she didn't talk!

 

post a comment