Mix of old and new Fraggle Stick Car: Some yarn related updates! aka the cloche that nearly destroyed me
My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, CA

I'm an English expat constantly struggling to be understood in a different country. I work in the cut throat world trying to bring "YARRR" and "Ne'er-Do-Well" into regular conversation My swear word of choice is Stink Nugget. I'm a yarn snob.

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Some yarn related updates! aka the cloche that nearly destroyed me

I've been trying to make this Stitch Diva Downtown Cloche for almost exactly a year now. The Enabler got this pattern at Stitches West last year, I purchased the roving, and J(f) of J and J fame spun said roving into some beautiful yarn for me. This is the yarn that I was told had spontaneously combusted on spinning, and very nearly didn't get...

It exactly a WEEK away from this year's stitches. It's now my anual birthday treat. Today, I finished the last round of crochet. I have attempted this damn hat at least 5 times, and only after the Enabler gave me some pattern corrections, did the penny finally drop.

So... here are some shots

The humble beginnings...



Actually got it bigger and looking normal




The pre-blocking result! My polystyrene head is a bit smaller than my head, and I'm hoping that the nobblyness will sort itself out in blocking. We'll see!




I actually ran out of the yarn, so used some Brooks Farm that I also bought at Stitches last year to finish it off. I don't think it'll look too bad, since I'm planning on a wide ivory satin band around the hat that will hide the color change somewhat.

The rest of that yarn is going towards a mobieus scarf that I might start very soon!

So... my fear of crochet may have been solved by immersion therapy! I'm not sure I oarticularly like it, but at least I can do it now.

Comments on "Some yarn related updates! aka the cloche that nearly destroyed me"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:36 PM) : 

Yay! Welcome to the dark side T.
Looks like it's just you and me and Melissa for Stitches, but it will still be a blast. I already have my map and list of what I "want" ready.

The cloche looks amazing. I love that yarn. Cheers!

 

post a comment