Mix of old and new Fraggle Stick Car: It began in Africa ca ca ca
My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, CA

I'm an English expat constantly struggling to be understood in a different country. I work in the cut throat world trying to bring "YARRR" and "Ne'er-Do-Well" into regular conversation My swear word of choice is Stink Nugget. I'm a yarn snob.

Thursday, February 01, 2007

It began in Africa ca ca ca

As promised, here is a) another post that didn't have a 6 month interval between it b)some shots from last Novembers vacation in Tanzania and c) brief knitty update

Spurred on by friendly and gentle goading from the Enabler, of course ;)

First... for the brief knitting stuff. After Enabler's post about her desire to increase her knitting output and become more prolific, I started to wonder "how much wool does a wool chick knit?" before being able to call themselves prolific? I don't think I count yet, but I've got about 4 sweaters done in the last few months or so, and the Art Fiber's skirt thingie at Boo's place that is nearing completion (and it actually fits - holy crap!). Of course, I have no photographic proof of these yet.

But, I do have proof that lions and other beasties exist.




SEE?!

A few people have see some (or even MOST) of the 1500 photos I took in Africa and I'm pretty pleased with what I took. Really, when you are there, you really have to be the most incompetent fool not to be able to take amazing shots - I swear it is impossible.

I was asked how I managed to get such detailed and close up shots of stuff, and that I must have a crazy telephoto lens. The reality being, when you are 5 foot away from a Lioness and her cubs, you only have to get over the shaking of the hands, rather than worry about if the picture will come out detailed enough.

These are all teeny versions of the photos, btw - but if you want more... click!


So, what do we have here... This sucker was to be my alarm clock on my first day in Tanzania



This chap was aparently literally Shagged Out... I call him Aslan



A rare highlight, this one... a cheetah with 4 young cubs



Ummm... an elephant!



A white rhino copying the elephant pose. We did see black rhino (and a black rhino BABY) - which is extremely rare, but I need to dig out a photo of that for proof ;)



Spot the elephant. I swear there is one in the photo!



Zebra!



For a 3 week period, I became an expert an naming the animals, but of course I have since forgotten them. Here are some boisterous gazelle. I think they are Grant's



And now I feel like a patronizing moron, making comments for photos like "Giraffe"


We caught (or rather, they caught us up in the middle of) the massive wildebeest great migration. Or as our guide Zumo endearingly called them "safari ants"



A leopard. These suckers are normally very difficult to see, asince they like hanging out in trees finding their spots are useful for more than a sassy pair of shoes. We'd been told we'd be very lucky to see one at all. Then this chap decided that he wanted a closer visit. He walked in front of our Jeep and did what all cats and dogs do - licked his/her "bits"



Finally - a shot of Ngorongoro Crater.


C'est tout encore
Where did I start?

Comments on "It began in Africa ca ca ca"

 

Blogger smallerdemon said ... (5:58 PM) : 

Wow and woo! Spectacular photos.

Great to see you posting. :) You'll have to make up for me. I'm only doing on LJ post a week this year.

 

post a comment